A SITE of Special Scientific Interest in Purbeck was damaged after a firework sparked a blaze in the area. Fire crews from two stations were called to Stair Hole at Lulworth after a large patch of grassland on the cliff caught alight. The incident happened at around 9pm on Friday.

Firefighters used hose reel jets and beaters to extinguish the blaze, which was under control by around 10.15pm.

Lulworth Rangers said the fire had caused "considerable damage". Commenting on the incident on Facebook, the rangers said: "Some sad scenes at Stair Hole on Friday night. "A firework has caused considerable damage to the SSSI at Stair Hole. "Some really irresponsible behaviour which is strongly condemned by our team."