A FIRE caused by a barbecue scorched part of Dorset's World Heritage Site near Durdle Door.

A crew from Wareham Fire Station was called to the blaze on the side of a cliff shortly after 9pm on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the fire service said the incident was started by a barbecue, with the uniMog assisting the response.

Swanage and Wareham Voice: The cause of the fire near Durdle Door. Picture: Wareham Fire StationThe cause of the fire near Durdle Door. Picture: Wareham Fire Station

"Please we would like to remind everyone, do not have barbecues or open fires in the countryside have them in your garden or take a picnic," the fire service spokesperson added.

In a post on Facebook, a spokesperson for Lulworth Estate said: "This was the scene at Durdle Door on Wednesday night after a barbecue set alight part of the World Heritage Site, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Site of Special Scientific Interest."

Swanage and Wareham Voice: Fire crews tackle the incident. Picture: Wareham Fire StationFire crews tackle the incident. Picture: Wareham Fire Station

Lulworth Estate called on Dorset Council and South Dorset MP Richard Drax to ban the "horrible products".